Tuesday, August 15, 2006

ANWAR POLITICAL COMBACK-Help from Nallakaruppan - or NALLA (Former TENNIS Buddy) Joining ANWAR PKR PARTY with 2000 Indians; EXCLUSIVE Q & A

Anwar Ibrahim, the former deputy Prime Minister under Tun Dr Mahathir is poised and ready for a comeback. He has kicked off a Road show at Sekinchuan and has plans for other states (see previous post). And now with a little help form his tennis buddy friend Nalla his PKR party will have a boast of 2000 new members brought in.

Please support Malaysiakini by subscribing for as low as
RM10 for 20 days / RM15 per month to RM150 per year.
Details at http://www.malaysiakini.com/register/manage4me/
_________________________________________

http://www.malaysiakini.com/news/55353

Q&A: I want to help Anwar make a comeback; Baradan Kuppusamy Aug 14, 06 6:57pm

KS Nallakaruppan - or Nalla to his friends - hit the headlines in 1998 as the famous tennis partner of former deputy premier Anwar Ibrahim. It is Nalla who faced the death sentence for illegal possession of bullets with an expired weapons permit.

After being acquitted, he left the country with his family and stayed abroad for several years. In 2003, he returned to witness the retirement of former premier Dr Mahathir Mohamad and the release of Anwar under the administration of Abdullah Ahmad Badawi.

After watching and reading about the current political undercurrents, Nalla said he decided to return to the limelight. On Sunday he and some 2,000 Indians will join Anwar's Parti Keadilan Rakyat (PKR). When met at a café in Kuala Lumpur recently, Nalla talked about his political ambitions.

He chooses his coffee joints with some care and usually they are in out-of-the- way places with little human traffic. He sits with his back to the wall and keeps one eye on the door.

"I had suffered before. I faced the death sentence. I must be careful," he said as this writer opened his notebook to ask his first question.

* So what's happening on Sunday, Aug 20?

Nalla: On Sunday, I and some 2,000 Indians are joining Parti Keadilan Rakyat (PKR). There will be a big ceremony at Istana Hotel with Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim himself receiving our membership forms. Many of the people are professionals, lawyers, doctors, engineers and accountants. They have wanted to join PKR for a long time but only know have decided (to do so) and follow me into PKR.

I have been with Pekemas (the defunct Parti Keadilan Masyarakat) and the MIC before. But we find PKR a truly multi-racial party, the most attractive and able to work equally and fairly for all Malaysians irrespective of race or religion.

* But there are other multi-racial parties, why choose PKR?

The main reason is also the person - Anwar Ibrahim. I also want to help my friend Anwar make a political comeback. The general election is near and he and PKR will need every help they can get. Besides Anwar always thinks of the poor and there are many Indians who are poor and they need help. I know Anwar personally and he champions the poor, from the Baling farmers in the 1970s to the urban squatters now.

* What do you hope to achieve in PKR?

I am not joining just to be Indian leader or for power. It is for the members and for the Malaysian poor, especially the Indians. I want to go to the grassroots and explain the current political situation and the changes that are happening. Indians cannot be stuck with the traditional ways. They have to take the advantage to fight for their rights. Because also I know Anwar and am his friend, it is easy to bring Indian problems to his
attention.

* But in what tangible ways can Anwar help the Indian poor from the opposition ranks?

Anwar had been in the opposition first. Then he joined the government. He rose to be deputy prime minister. Now he is in the opposition again. With the many changes in the current political scene, Anwar can return to government. In fact, he should return to the government. Malaysian poor of all races will benefit if Anwar returns to the government. Even as a strong opposition leader, Anwar can help the poor by highlighting their plight.

* What are the priorities of the Indian community now?

We need everything. Jobs, welfare aid, business loans, scholarships, education places. Ask me what we lack, and the answer is 'we lack everything
'.

* In the 1980s, you were the MIC deputy Youth leader. What work for the poor did you do then?

I started the first medical camp for the poor in Sepang when I was in MIC. Only after that did 'medical camps' become popular. Then the idea died off. But people need free Medical camps' now because medical cost has escalated sky- high.

* How do you read the current political upheavals, especially the clash between former premier Dr Mahathir Mohamad and his successor Abdullah Ahmad Badawi?

I think Abdullah should be left in peace to do his job his way. He is getting a lot of outside disturbances. A lot of pressure is on him when he has only been on the job for about three years. Give him more time and don't hamper him. Before he could even get settled in his job, he is already severely criticised. He is a patient man and has his own way of managing the country.

* Is he good for the country after all the criticisms?

I think if he is left in peace to do his work, he will do better. So far he has not used the ISA, he has encouraged reasonable freedom. He thinks of the rakyat, especially the poor, their welfare. Overall and despite the pressure, he has done reasonably well in three short years.

Tun Mahathir could not take Anwar's pressure that he might be toppled. But Abdullah is taking so much pressure now!

* Tell us briefly about your background.

After my Form Five I became a MCIS insurance agent. Soon after I became an agency manager and eventually the best MCIS manager in Malaysia in terms of business volume in 1978.

I joined Gerakan in 1978 and helped Tan Tiong Hong in Kepong in 1978. I handled a squatter matter in1978 and came into contact with Datuk TK Lim. At this time I entered business and eventually became director of Magnum, Kamunting Corp and other companies.

* You were close to MIC president Samy Vellu at that time. Later you had a falling out with him. Can you give details?

I first met him at functions and became very close to him. Until today we treat each other as friends. In 1983, he gave me the Bukit Bandaraya MIC branch of which I was chairman. I was elected MIC Youth deputy leader in 1985. In 1988, we had a misunderstanding over 'personal matters'. In 1989, I supported (former MIC deputy president ) S Subramaniam against Samy Vellu in the contest for the MIC president's post. The same year I was expelled from MIC.

* How about your relationship with Anwar?

I first met Anwar at a function in Kampung Baru. We became friends and remain close family friends until now. We played tennis three or four times a week, whenever he was free.

* Then, your world came crashing down one day...

Yes, on July 31, 1998. That date is burned in my mind forever. The police came to my house, searched every nook and corner and took the house apart. They then took me to Bukit Aman. I don't want to think about it. I had to overcome so many problems; I suffered so much. The nights were sleepless and there was not enough food. I got sick sleeping on the cement floor. No pillow and no mattress in the lock-up.

* Do you feel bitter about the experience?

I was shocked. I was innocent but I spent a year in prison for nothing. Now I see why. I played tennis with the wrong guy. It is all politics and I got crushed in the politics. If I had played tennis with one of my businessman friends nobody would have bothered. I did not know that was coming. I took it for a friend, my friend. There is no reason to be angry or bitter now.

http://www.malaysiakini.com/news/55350

Nalla to join PKR
Baradan Kuppusamy Aug 14, 06 6:12pm [extract]
[...]
In his affidavit, Nalla claimed that the police put a noose around his neck to squeeze him for evidence to use against Anwar but no such evidence surfaced.


Goto TOP (Main Page)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Get complete protection against viruses, worms and Trojan horse programs – CA Anti-Virus 2008! Click here for cheap hotels
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from Multidimid. Make your own badge here.
Blogroll Me!

Your email address:


Powered by FeedBlitz

Add to Google Add to Google
Google
 
Web powerpresent.blogspot.com