Monday, June 26, 2006

FULL TRANSCRIPT (in ENGLISH) of Tun Dr Mahathir Q/A Session after the Dialogue on Saturday 24th June 2006 at Century Club Paradise

Note: The following is a reproduction. Highlights addded are mine.

By Courtesy and effort of


at http://mahaguru58.blogspot.com
A Malaysian Muslim sharing his views and news about his faith, his nation and anything else concerning his life and his society.The owner of this blog reserves a tit for tat policy.Be warned.Speak if you have anything good to say otherwise stay silent. It's best for you
.

Here's the transcript of the press conference which I am translating for you into English. The original is in Bahasa Malaysia @ Malay. I am going to follow the exact manner of their reporting.

Question: Has the Proton Chairman Azlan Hashim explained about the sale of the MV Augusta motorcycle company?

Tun Dr Mahathir : That was not an explanation ; was only repeating what he has said before this especially about the MV Agusta (company). Who's Gevi Spa?...have they even been involved in this (motorcycle) business?

How do they know it's a good business? How was the actual sales process done? Was there any announcement by them that they (Proton) wanted to sell Agusta? Were there other bidders? Did anybody else know about it?

Did they (Proton Management) ask for a price higher than 1 Euro? (RM4.00)

Question: About the speech just now (unintelligible question)?

Tun Dr.Mahathir : I am not happy with some issues. There are several other issues that I haven't voiced out yet...that I am not satisfied..but I don't have to bother about them.

Question: Azlan (Proton Chairman)said he wants to meet Tun but says you are busy ?

Tun Dr.Mahathir: When he was first appointed, he came to see me and discussed about the ways he wanted to manage Proton. He confessed to me that his appointment wasn't to remove Tengku Mahaleel (former Proton Chairman).

He confessed to me. Then he did what he said he wouldn't do. Never informed me (update) ..would have been alright if he even came to ask me .

What's the point of coming to see me? To give me a report?...reports can be just written.

Selling of Agusta they didn't ask me. Did everything themselves. At this moment I don't know who's the CEO because it looks like the Chairman of the (Proton) Board is the CEO.

He decides everything. Apart from Tengku Mahaleel , several persons have already resigned...good people.

Congratulations for launching the new Proton...Satria Neo...but it was supposed to be launched last year...why the delay?

Question: But he (Azlan) had asked for an appointment with Tun?

Tun Dr.Mahathir: He had wanted to meet me. ..but I thought what's the point of him meeting me if it is only to tell me what he has already done? That can be wrote down.

It's okay if he sends to me reporting what he has done. So, what's the point in coming to see me?

I have seen him. He made a confession that he was appointed not to displace the CEO but that's exactly what he has done...So, how am I to trust someone like this?

Question (Agenda Daily): Is there any chances of Tun sitting together with Pak Lah and discussing (matters) amicably?

Tun Dr.Mahathir: Sitting (with Pak Lah) is no problem. ..discussing...can't say. If we are to do anything ; don't do it on a social basis only.

He (Pak Lah) came to meet me (social visit) in
Japan...but it was nothing. In Japan (Pak Lah) came to see me when I was about to go to a meeting...for 10 minutes...that's all.

Question(Agenda Daily): A lot of people are asking whether there's no way for this (tiff between Tun Dr. M and the BN Government) to be settled amicably?

Tun Dr.Mahathir : I don't know..there are people more powerful than me...just talk only...(when they) return...it's cancelled.

Question (Agenda Daily) : About the allegations of the former TNB Executive Tan Sri Ani Arope (about the flagrant giving of IPP contracts during Tun's Premiership) would Tun (be willing to) answer?

Tun Dr.Mahathir : I won't answer! now go and seek out all that happened during my time...to disgrace me! Go and dig out (information from) Ani Arope...dig out (info from) Syed Ahmad Aidid (former Supreme Court Judge)...search for more..there's lots...I know (sarcastically) ...lots of sins...22 years (his premiership).

To know whether (you have )freedom or not..criticise the present (government)...can criticize or not?...but we shall all see..we support...no need to publish in the newspapers...we use all (?)...line up all the ministers..we support...just raise up your hands!

Why go and ask them (former ministers) one by one..(their opinions)?...waste of time only.

Question : Tun Musa Hitam (ex Deputy PM) says Tun are having the post losing power syndrome?

Tun Dr.Mahathir: He thinks we are like him..he's the one suffering from that sickness.

That's the reason why I had to give him a job. When he quit ( as Tun's Deputy)...even though he tried to topple me (from power)..I chose him to be sent to the United Nations...appointed him to many positions.

I (after resigning as the PM) never asked for any positions..except to be the Advisor. As Advisor, i didn't even ask to be paid but this Petronas are very bad (jokingly) ...give me money! Proton don't pay me even a sen!

Question: (In your speech just now) Tun mentioned about a corruption case that you asked for prosecution to be carried out before you resigned ?

Tun Dr.Mahathir : I can't mention names..but I'm sure the ACA knows this. There are cases that have been decided to be taken action...but haven't yet. I don't know why?

Question(Agenda Daily): Tun, in your speech just now, you gave the impression that there is a 3rd party influencing the government...can you tell us openly who it is?

Tun Dr.Mahathir: Oh..I don't know. Heard it from people...whether it's true or not, I don't know.

I heard that on Level 4..(in the Prime Minister's Department-Putrajaya). You go and have a look..whether there are tables and chairs..who's there?...an office boy present..from Oxford...from Cambridge..

Question: Are you (Tun) frustrated with Datuk Seri Rafidah's statement that she has given full explanations about everything and won't give any further statements(about the AP's) etc?

Tun Dr.Mahathir: She hasn't given me any explanations!..About why she gave the AP's to her former officers (in MITI) in large numbers? And why those AP's were sold?..now explain that!

Is that in line with the government's stand? She has yet to explain..she just said yes she gave..(the Approved Permit's)...don't ask anymore questions..

(The BN Government) claims to be transparent?...explain then..Why these two persons (Rafidah's ex officers) are still receiving (the AP's) and still importing cars? I know what (car)models that they are importing.

Actually the giving of the AP's to them should be cancelled!

Question: To what extent would you (Tun) act if the explanation given by the government doesn't satisfy you?

Tun Dr.Mahathir: As they say (Malay proverb)..to the core of the wormholes!(to the marrow) It's not only a matter of (giving) explanations!..there's a need to correct whatever is not right!

The bridge(JB-Singapore Causeway)..for example..Why can't we build the bridge in Malaysia? I want to know. If (the Government) says ..can't..I want to question it.

Question(Agenda Daily): When you say that (to the core of the wormholes); will that (Tun's seeking answers) be to the extent of joining forces with the Opposition parties?

Tun Dr.Mahathir: No! I am not involved with the Opposition (parties). I am by myself.

Question: You (Tun) have criticized the Government..people are saying that there are talks of sacking you (Tun) from UMNO?

Tun Dr.Mahathir: He (PM Abdullah Badawi) wants to sack (me)? (Go ahead) sack me! Person with power can sack! Just sack!..What's wrong with that?..I have been sacked (before)!

People did say that when I was sacked before (Tunku's time)...I went up on the PAS platform..whereas the person now (referring to PM Pak Lah) never joined the Opposition..(but still)..tried to topple me (when Pak Lah joined Team B-Tengku Razaleigh Hamzah's camp)..even that I didn't take offense...I took (Pak Lah) back!

So many of those who opposed me before ..I am the one who took them back..gave them positions till they reached the peak (of power)!

I am not bringing up the past...it's okay if there's no (sense of) gratitude!

Question : Looks like in Malaysia , whenever there's a certain issue..that thing cools down fast!

When there's any issue coming up, the people don't bother to check on it ..the matter dies off just like that!

What is your view about all this when in a week or two, people start to forget (about the issues) when something else crops up?

Tun Dr.Mahathir: (Jokingly) That's up to you (the media) to keep it (the issues) hot! Nowadays even though it's being said that the press is free but they erase (issues)..but instead go and dig out dirt about me ...there's lots more...I have carried out mega projects...Ani Arope is angry with me ..

Question: (In your speech just now) Tun said that there is a company that wants to sell sand (to Singapore before the bridge project was cancelled)! Do you have (any) proof?

Tun Dr.Mahathir: I don't have any documents (of proof)..but I do know that to sell sand ; there must be someone getting money..who it is I don't know..

Question: You(Tun) still question the sale of Agusta to Gevi sPA?

Tun Dr.Mahathir : We (Tun) received information from foreign sources ..that Gevi sPA is an absolutely unknown company! We (Tun) do not know about it's background.

Who are the shareholders? What business do they do? Why of all the companies in the whole wide world...they go and choose (Gevi sPA)? That puzzles me!

Explain to me so that I won't be puzzled anymore.

Question : You (Tun) spoke just now (in Tun's speech) about the involvement of Pak Lah's son in law (Khairy Jamaluddin)?

Tun Dr.Mahathir : (With a cynical expression) ..Eh..eh..I didn't say so.. I said 'someone who's highly educated!

Question : You (Tun) spoke of (being a greenhorn) having a runny nose?

Tun Dr.Mahathir : That is about runny noses..lots of people have runny noses!

Question : Tun used to have reserves (replacements) before.
What do you think about people being interested in young bloods absolutely? Is it viable that important positions be given to youngbloods?

Tun Dr.Mahathir: They are very brilliant (youngbloods)! You can't ignore their advice!
Intelligent people ..you can notice them clearly! We can see his writings in the newspapers...extraordinary! I have never seen such writings before!

Question: About your criticisms, will they affect the nation's stability?

Tun Dr.Mahathir: I trust the Malaysian people. They are rational thinkers. ..but when I was the PM, there was a person who challenged me ..to the extent that I was almost toppled..but now it (any challenge to the current PM ) is absolutely out of the question because of preserving stability...don't say even anything (about the government)!

That even those who commit crimes...betray the nation's integrity and honor..I can't criticize..because (they) want stability.

All these (Tun's taking the BN Government to task) will not have happened if (the issues were) answered properly..but here they are (the government) telling the public not to criticize!

Mankind is full of sins...we need to criticize every now and then. Not criticizing at all is not good!

Question: When Tun was the Prime Minister before..Tun Ghafar was the Deputy PM..there was an official who received vetting from the Special Branch (SB)..this person was said to be an agent of a foreign power.
Why was this person not taken action against under the ISA when you were in power before?

NOTE: IT IS BELIEVED THAT THE QUESTION IS REFERRING TO SOMEONE WHO IS NOW VERY INFLUENTIAL IN A LOCAL NEWSPAPER.

Tun Dr.Mahathir: We do not use the ISA that simply just because he is interested in another country...that (being interested in a foreign country) is not an offense.

But if we take him (the person) to rule the nation..then that's wrong! That man is a person who's not loyal to our nation..if we let him be the leader, that's wrong! That's why we didn't allow him to hold the (leadership) position.

But about him being infatuated with whomever..that's his affair!

Question: Many of those present in the event today are made up of those who were your main adversaries before?

Tun Dr.Mahathir: I have spoken to my main adversaries many times before. That's why when I went around, there were lots of questions..there were unfriendly questions!

In one meeting, there were questions as to why I didn't quit my position? (unclear as to what particular position)

I spoke not only to those who were friends but also to people who didn't like me too!

I speak for myself...I don't go and ask my ministers to speak on my behalf (as PM Pak Lah did )

Question: When Tun was the PM, were there any officers not paid by the government but by the private sector to 'work' in the ministries?

Tun Dr.Mahathir: I didn't have..but my Deputy did (have an officer)..salary paid by others but working for him! That's my Deputy ..not me.

Question: Now do you hear (of this)?

Tun Dr.Mahathir: I do hear of this ..but it's a rumour..we can't believe in rumours.

What's your comment about the sale of the AIROD company to Singapore? What's your views about the selling of (it's) shares to Singapore?

Tun Dr.Mahathir: We are free to sell to anyone nowadays! Can even sell this nation to Singapore! we can even sell our honor ..what more about AIROD?

Question: Are you planning to make a comeback?

Tun Dr.Mahathir: No! Absolutely not! 22 years (being the Premier) is enough!

Question: Tun's criticisms (against Pak Lah's Government) has raised doubts in the people?

Tun Dr.Mahathir: You say that there are people who are disturbed with what I say..but I see everyone supporting ..not that they are supporting me! with me everything's not right..and I am not saying anything ...I have already left (the Premiership)...support.(?)

Question: About a writing in the column (Datuk Kalimullah Hassan's writing in the NST newspaper) regarding your meeting with Pak Lah in Japan?

Tun Dr.Mahathir: He reported wrongly. Said I was the one who wanted to meet..not me who wanted to meetup...so everything was arranged by someone who is now known as a spindoctor..like those who want to spin a story to get some benefits.

Those who were useless in the Straits Times have all already quit. They chose to resign..they can't work. They realised that they were useless to be editors. They quit..so those who are at (that newspaper) are all experts!

Question: What do you (Tun) want now?

Tun Dr.Mahathir: That the wrongs are corrected..don't condemn me..don't criticize..because I am the former..no longer the Prime Minister...just be silent..that's all.

So, I want to know why surrender our honor ( by cancelling the bridge project)? There must be reasons. Is it about selling our sands?..I want to know.

Question: You said that Pak Lah reneged from his promises to you! What were those promises?

Tun Dr.Mahathir: He knows...I know.


Question: When were the promises made?

Tun Dr.Mahathir: Just before I let go of the position (Prime Ministership)


Question : Were those promises reneged this year?

Tun Dr.Mahathir: Reneged two weeks after I gave up the post (of PM)..so fast!

~~~~

The copyright of the above transcript belongs to Agenda Daily Dot Com Sdn Bhd. All of their rights are reserved.

I am just sharing the translation here as a social service to those who were not there and want to know what transpired at the press conference between Tun Dr.Mahathir and the media.

The speech of Tun Dr.Mahathir is too long for me to translate into English. Just get hold of the VCD of the 'Dialogue' when it becomes available to the public.

Hope you enjoyed reading the transcript which I have translated exclusively for those who want to be aware of what took place at an event that is absolutely the results of YM Raja Petra Kamaruddin's big heartedness in arranging it all even though he himself was once incarcerated by the ex PM's government for voicing out his thoughts as he (RPK) saw fit without fear or favor and paid a price for it ( by briefly being imprisoned for daring to tell the truth)!

From humble beginnings , Malaysia-Today.Net has grown to be an alternative source for those of us who appreciate news reporting on a more free no holds barred perspective.

Some say, RPK has been 'lubricated' by the Tun with millions to enable this dialogue to speak his piece. Is there any base to this allegations?

Let's wait and see if RPK starts living a lifestyle that befits the 'Rich & Famous' giving credence to the rumours! :P

As RPK himself confessed to me that he doesn't have money to invest in my proposals to him to invest in Canadian Landbanking projects for a major firm from there and that he's just surviving on his pension, I take his word and believe him.

As the saying of Winston S.Churchill goes :

'Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak;

courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen'

May the truth prevail in our lifetimes as to what actually is being done to us and this nation. Amin ya Rabbal Alameen.

Mankind plans and designs according to their nafs but in the end it is but Allah SWT who decides!

This article is originally being posted at http://tinyurl.com/kyuvv , the Agenda Daily.

********************************************************************

See the latest posting on Datuk Nazri counterattack on Dr Mahathir at
http://powerpresent.blogspot.com/2006/06/datuk-mohamed-nazri-open-war-on-dr.html

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Get complete protection against viruses, worms and Trojan horse programs – CA Anti-Virus 2008! Click here for cheap hotels
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from Multidimid. Make your own badge here.
Blogroll Me!

Your email address:


Powered by FeedBlitz

Add to Google Add to Google
Google
 
Web powerpresent.blogspot.com