Thursday, November 29, 2007

MORE PICS – DAY 61, 62 & 63 Altantuya Murder Trial; Hello - 012-9042042 Abdul Razak or Izwan?; Positive ID Azilah & Sirul- Hotel CCTV Footages

The trial is on for 3-day this week with the hearing resuming on Monday, 3rd Dec 07

There was utter confusion & disbelief in Day 61 & 62 of the trial when it was revealed the hand phone number 012-9042042use by Abdul Razak to call Azilah & the senior Police office belongs to the TV3 Newscaster Mohd Izwan. How could it be possible when he revealed that he was “still using the line and still had his SIM card in his Nokia N71, and that his phone had never been seized at anytime by the police”? He upgraded his Sim card and left the old one with Maxi and now Maxi should explain this mixed up further. To add further confusion and mystery, Mohd Izwan knows Azilah the 2nd accused.

And in Day 63 Trial, the forensic expert from Royal Malaysian Police positively identified the first and second accused Azilah and Sirul after comparing the 3 photographs provided with the CCTV footages recorded in the Lobby of Hotel Malaya on Oct 19 2006

= == = == = == == = == == == = ==

'Abdul Razak's Maxis line' registerd to someone else

Maria J. Dass; theSUN
DAY 61
SHAH ALAM (Nov 26, 2007): One of the phone lines purportedly belonging to Abdul Razak Baginda which was the subject of scrutiny last week is actually registered to a Mohd Izwan Azir Mohd Salleh (ABOVE) the Altantuya Shaariibuu murdering hearing heard today. Last week Maxis Communication Bhd Billing Department principal engineer Goh Peng Chew told the court of the number of calls and text messages exchanged between the Maxis line belonging to Abdul Razak (012-9042042) and the Celcom line belonging to C/Insp Azilah Hadri.

However, today Maxis Communication Bhd security division administrative executive Regina Arokiam, 34 (ABOVE), who processes requests of government agencies such as the Anti-Corruption Agency, the police and the Securities Commission for details of Maxis line owners said, upon entering this number, the system showed that the line was actually registered to Mohd Izwan. There were three other lines which were registered under the name of Abdul Razak Abdullah - one of which was also the subject of scrutiny last week. Regina said the users of several prepaid numbers which she was requested to furnish details on, including a 017 number belonging to victim Altantuya Shaariibuu were not registered. The requirement to register pre-paid numbers was only enforced last December.

The court also learnt that another Maxis post-paid line belonging to private investigator P.Balasubramaniam was found to be registered to someone named Looi Kwee Pin. However, no reasons were given for this yet as the afternoon session was halted due to the absence of evidence which were needed for the next line of questioning regarding the SIM cards of the phones as Regina had not prepared screenshots needed to show how she obtained the SIM numbers. They will be tendered in court tomorrow. Earlier, during cross examination of Goh, defence lawyers attempted to debunk the authenticity of the Maxis call logs tendered in court, including a list of 10 calls from Abdul Razak's line to Azilah lasting 30 seconds each. Abdul Razak's defence counsel Wong Kian Keong tried to suggest that these calls which were made within as span of about 30 minutes starting from 12.22am midnight on Oct 21 were "accidental calls" or dropped calls. Wong, who was cross examining Goh, asked him if he had experienced dropped calls or received accidental calls from someone. Goh said yes and explained that there are two reasons for this - one when the phone is entering an area without coverage, or when someone accidentally presses the call button which will then automatically dial the last number called. Goh said it was possible that the 30 second calls may have been dropped.

Under re-examination by DPP Noorin Badaruddin (ABOVE) Goh said calls due to the absence of a signal was also highly possible and that conversations took place during the short times. He agreed with Noorin that the 10 calls could not have been accidental calls as two other calls which Abdul Razak made to a senior police officer DSP Musa Mohd Safri and one to Balasubramaniam were also recorded within the same 30 minutes.

Asked by Wong if Maxis had been subjected to test by lawful hackers known as "white hats", Goh said the Maxis system which is from a vendor based overseas - Comverse Pte. Ltd - had not been subjected to this. Asked by Sirul Azhar's counsel Ahmad Zaidi Zainal if the system was 100% hacker proof, Goh said it was not and admitted that if hacked into, a hacker could make changes to the calls made, the duration and the location from which it was made. However, asked by Noorin, Goh who has been attached to Maxis for the past 11 years said the Maxis internal system has never been hacked.

"It has only happened to our public corporate website which is accessible to the public," he said, adding that fewer than five backend users of the system like himself had passwords and access to make changes in the system. Goh also denied suggestions by Wong that there may have been mistakes in the call details of the phone logs. He said most of the complaints received were not on call details but on billing differences due to mistakes made upon registration of call plans and so on. "Our call records are always correct, and disputes are usually on other telephony charges," said Goh (BELOW)

Wong also grilled Goh on whether he had actual knowledge of a conversation taking place when the calls were made and if the phone company kept records of the SMSes or recordings of the calls, to which the latter said he did not have any personal knowledge if any conversation did indeed take place.

ABOVE: Abdul Razak and BELOW: The other 2 accused, hooded arriving on Day 61

Hearing continues tomorrow.
* Maxis Communication Bhd Billing Department principal engineer Goh Peng Chew cross-examined
* Maxis Communication Bhd security division administrative executive
Regina Arokiam testified
= = == == = = == == = == == = ==

DAY 61
Tuesday November 27, 2007; By CECIL FUNG, STAR
Phone records raise questions

SHAH ALAM: Several questions popped up after a Maxis Communications Bhd staff read out the registered users of a list of cellphone numbers at the Altantuya Shaariibuu murder trial yesterday. The biggest question mark of all, however, was the phone number thought to belong to Abdul Razak Baginda, which turned out to be registered under the name of a broadcast journalist. Regina Arokiam, an administrative executive at Maxis Communications security division, testified that the number, a prepaid line was registered under Mohd Izwan Azir Mohad Saleh. A reporter-cum-newscaster with TV3, Mohd Izwan Azir had himself turned up to cover the trial during earlier proceedings. Two weeks ago, the 52nd prosecution witness, CyberSecurity Malaysia digital forensic department head Aswami Fadillah Mohd Ariffin, said the number belonged to Abdul Razak. Another question mark surrounded the phone number that belonged to the political analyst's private investigator P. Balasubramaniam.
According to
Regina, this number was a post-paid number that was registered under a Looi Kwee Pin, who had two other registered numbers. The phone number that belonged to Altantuya's private investigator Ang Chong Beng too was not registered under his own name. Instead, it was registered to Lee Gua Cheng, who also had four other numbers registered under her name. Apart from these numbers, 34-year-old Regina testified that she found three post-paid numbers registered under Abdul Razak's name. “I keyed in (the number) into our system based on police request and all three numbers came up,” said the 56th prosecution witness on Day 61 of the trial. Five other phone numbers, including the ones belonging to Altantuya, Kpl Sirul Azhar Umar and L/Kpl Rohaniza Roslan (C/Insp Azilah Hadri's ex-girlfriend) based on witness testimonies, were all unregistered prepaid numbers.
The trial continues today.

= == = == = =
DAY 61

November 26, 2007 20:28 PM

012-9042042 Was TV3 Newscaster's Phone Number, Court Told

SHAH ALAM, Nov 26 (Bernama) -- The phone number 012-9042042, said to have been used by Abdul Razak Abdullah Baginda to contact C/Insp Azilah Hadri, was registered under the name of TV3 newscaster Izwan Azir Saleh (ABOVE). This was revealed by Maxis administrative executive in the security division Regina a/p Arokiam on the 61st day of trial for the murder of Mongolian woman Altantuya Shaariibuu today. Azilah, 31 and another operative of the police's Special Action Unit, Cpl Sirul Azhar Umar, 36, are alleged to have committed the murder in a jungle in Bukit Raja between 10pm on Oct 19 and 1am the following day.

Razak, a 47-year-old political analyst, is charged with abetting them. Regina, 34, said 012-9042042 was a prepaid number and she obtained details of the owner from the company's system. In previous proceedings, Maxis chief engineer in the service, information and billing division Goh Peng Chew said the same number was used by Razak to contact Azilah from Oct 18 to 21, 2006. Regina, who is the 56th prosecution witness, also said that the phone number 012-2409311, said to have been used by Razak's private eye, P. Balasubramaniam, was registered under the name of Looi Kwee Pin. Earlier, she told the court that the police had asked her to find out the owners of 10 phone lines and she discovered that not all of them were postpaid and not all of them were registered. She also said Razak had three postpaid lines. Meanwhile, earlier in the proceeding today, Goh, 38, said that accordingto Maxis' log summary, Altantuya made 26 phone calls and sent five SMS to Razak from Oct 9 (the day she was said to have arrived in Malaysia) until she was reported missing on Oct 19. Altantuya's last call to Razak was at 5.57pm on Oct 19 while the duration was about two minutes, he said. He added that the longest duration of calls between Altantuya and Razak was five minutes recorded on Oct 14.

The record also showed that Razak made 51 calls and sent 147 SMS to Balasubramaniam from Oct 9 to Oct 31 while Balasubramaniam called Altantuya eight times and sent her three SMS. Altantuya also called Balasubramaniam 25 times and sent 24 SMS from Oct 13 until her disappearance. The record also showed that Azilah and Sirul Azhar contacted each other on Oct 19 from 1.33pm to 9.47pm. Asked by the Deputy Public Prosecutor Noorin Badaruddin, Goh said the log summary was not tempered with and he also agreed with Razak's lawyer, Wong Kian Kheong, that the record of calls did not necessarily mean the receiver heard the caller. The trial before High Court Judge Datuk Mohd Zaki Md Yasin continues tomorrow.

= = == == = = == = == == = == == = == = == == == == == = == == = =

DAY 62- 27th Nov 07
I don’t know Razak, Altantuya: TV3 man

Maria J. Dass, theSUN
SHAH ALAM: TV3 broadcast journalist and newscaster Mohd Izwan Azir Mohad Saleh said yesterday he told investigating officer ASP Tonny Lunggan he did not know or had any contact with Altantuya Shaariibuu. To questions from Abdul Razak Baginda’s lawyer, Wong Kian Keong, Mohd Izwan said he also did not know Abdul Razak, either as a friend or a colleague. Mohd Izwan, 26, who was called to testify yesterday afternoon, said a police officer had gone to his house on Monday and asked him to report to Tonny immediately. "I reported to ASP Tonny at the Shah Alam High Court today (Tuesday) and he recorded my statement," said Mohd Izwan, who was summoned for questioning by police after Regina Arokiam , an administrative executive with Maxis Communication Bhd’s security division, revealed that a 012 mobile number said to belong to Abdul Razak was actually registered to Mohd Izwan.

Last week, Maxis billing department principal engineer Goh Peng Chew testified that several calls and text messages had been exchanged between the number and a Celcom line belonging to first accused Chief Insp Azilah Hadri. The week before, Aswami Fadillah Mohd Ariffin, head of CyberSecurity Malaysia’s digital forensic department, told the court he had used transaction logs provided by telephone companies to correlate the times and dates when calls and text messages were exchanged between a list of phone numbers given to him by the police. This included the number registered to Mohd Izwan, which was listed as belonging to Abdul Razak. Aswami had actually removed the SIM card for this number from a phone which the police had seized, as he was testifying on the SIM and IMSI numbers of the card. However,

lawyers and those in the gallery alike were baffled yesterday when Mohd Izwan revealed that he was still using the line and still had his SIM card in his Nokia N71, and that his phone had never been seized at anytime by the police. Mohd Izwan

who had covered earlier proceedings of this case, said he only knew that his number was a case item when alerted by colleagues in the press yesterday afternoon. He said he had been using the prepaid line which was registered in Oct 2003 since he was a student. Mohd Izwan, who did not recognise Azilah’s number in the call logs tendered in court checked his phone to see who the number belonged to, and upon checking said that it was saved under the name "Adi UTK". Azilah’s lawyer Hazman Ahmad protested saying that checks should be done to determine when the number was entered, but Judge Mohd Zaki Md Yasin allowed the testimony saying: "You can submit on this matter later." Earlier, to questions by DPP Noorin Badaruddin, Mohd Izwan said he remembered calling Azilah on Oct 18 and sending him a text message the next day, and that he may have called him again later on.

Mohd Izwan said he and Azilah whom he has known since the end of 2005, had made plans to break fast at Restoran Sri Melayu on Jalan Conlay on Oct 18 last year. He said he had called Azilah at 6.14pm to inform him he would be delayed due to a downpour. "After that we went to Bukit Aman as Azilah had invited me to a karaoke session at the officer’s mess there," said Mohd Izwan. "I was at Bukit Aman for about an hour, and then I went home," he said, adding that he did not meet him after that. Mohd Izwan, who testified he was never questioned about the number anytime before this, said he had upgraded his SIM card to obtain 3G services but can’t remember when he did it. During cross-examination by Hazman, Mohd Izwan said the old SIM card was returned to Maxis after the upgrade. Asked as to the statement he gave Tonny yesterday, Mohd Izwan said he was asked many questions including, "Since when I knew Azilah, if I knew Razak, if I knew anything about Altantuya and about what happened when I met Azilah to break fast on Oct 18." Also taking the witness stand yesterday afternoon was Bukit Aman forensic lab crime scene investigations head Supt Amidon Anan, 56, who had received a request to check and process a vehicle parked at the KL contingent headquarters from Tonny at 2pm on Nov 2 last year.

The hearing continues today.
11:32AM Wed, 28 Nov 2007

ABOVE: On Day 62, Abdul Razak was seen having a face to face meet with his mother whilst on the way to court

=== = ==
DAY 62
November 27, 2007 20:15 PM

'It Is My Phone Number,' Says TV3 Newscaster

SHAH ALAM, Nov 27 (Bernama) -- "It is my phone number. I have been using it over the past seven years and it is still mine," said TV3 newscaster Mohd Izwan (ABOVE) Azir Mohad Saleh in the trial for the murder of Altantuya Shaariibuu today. He was called to the witness stand to explain a confusion over his phone number that was said to have been used by political analyst Abdul Razak Abdullah Baginda to contact C/Insp Azilah Hadri. Azilah, 31 and another operative of the police's Special Action Unit, Cpl Sirul Azhar Umar, 36, are alleged to have murdered the 28-year-old Mongolian woman while Razak, 47, is charged with abetting them. Izwan, 26, said the police had never seized his handphone or his SIM card for investigation into the murder allegedly committed in a jungle in Bukit Raja between 10pm on Oct 19 last year and 1am the following day. The newscaster also told the High Court that only yesterday he knew of a number the same as his was used in transactions linked to the case. Two weeks ago, the 52nd prosecution witness -- CyberSecurity Malaysia forensic digital head Aswami Fadillah Mohd Ariffin -- said the number was Razak's and it was used in several phone coversations with Azilah from Oct 18 to 28. During the examination-in-chief by Deputy Public Prosecutor Noorin Badaruddin on the 62nd day of trial, Izwan did not deny that he had known Azilah since late 2005. He also said he met Azilah a day before Altantuya was alleged murdered. "I called Azilah on Oct 18, 2006. I invited him to a breaking of fast and called him at about 6.14pm to say that I would be quite late because of heavy rain," he said. Izwan said that he then met Azilah at the Seri Melayu Restaurant in Jalan Conlay, Kuala Lumpur. After that, they went to the police's senior officers mess in Bukit Aman for a karaoke session for an hour before leaving for home, he said. After that day, he did not see Azilah but they kept on contacting each other over the phone using the same number, said Izwan -- the 57th prosecution witness. Earlier, when asked whether he knew Azilah's phone number and kept it in his handphone, Izwan said: "Yes. I keep it under the name Adi UTK." He also told the court that he had replaced his prepaid SIM card, which he had been using since he was studying at the International Islamic University Malaysia, with a 3G SIM card. The old card was kept by Maxis, he added. He confirmed that the line was still his based on his address, identity card number, email and name stored in Maxis' system. During the cross-examination, Azilah's lawyer -- Datuk Hazman Ahmad -- asked Izwan what happened when investigation officer ASP Tonny Lunggan questioned him this morning. He replied: "He asked many questions. Among them were when I bought the SIM card, my connections with Azilah and Razak, whether I know anything about Altantuya and on the breaking of fast on Oct 18 last year." Asked by Razak's lawyer, Wong Kian Kheong, whether Izwan knew his client as a friend or colleague, the witness said: "Don't know." He also said that he had never known or contacted Altantuya.

Meanwhile, the 56th prosecution witness -- Maxis administrative executive in the security division Regina Arokiam (ABOVE, on Day 62) -- said the phone log provided by CyberSecurity Malaysia, which contained transactions under Razak's name, was not accurate compared to that issued by her. In re-examination by Noorin, however, she said: "Maxis does not know who used the line. It only knows who registered the line."

She also said that she had never received any written or verbal request from CyberSecurity Malaysia in matters relating to the case.Today's proceeding also saw the police's forensic lab CSI unit head in Bukit Aman, Supt Amidon Anan, 56, taking the witness stand. He will continue with his evidence before Justice Datuk Mohd Zaki Md Yasin tomorrow.

= == == = == =

DAY 63 - 28th Nov 07

ABOVE: Police's forensic lab CSI unit head in Bukit Aman, Supt Amidon Anan, 56 testified he examined the Wira car and lifted 3 finger prints which have not much characteristics for further investigation. He also positively identified the first and second accused Azilah Hadri and Sirul Azhar after comparing the 3 photographs provided with the CCTV footages recorded in the Lobby of Hotel Malaya on Oct 19 2006

Witness: UTK duo identified from footage

SHAH ALAM: C/Insp Azilah Hadri and Kpl Sirul Azhar Umar have been identified as the two men loitering inside Hotel Malaya where Mongolian translator Altantuya Shaariibuu stayed before she went missing. Bukit Aman’s crime scene investigation unit head Supt Amidon Anan told the High Court here that he confirmed it on May 29 when he viewed the security camera footage at the hotel together with investigating officer Asst Supt Tonny Lunggan and a police photographer. The 56-year-old senior police officer, testifying as the 58th prosecution witness on Day 63 of the murder trial, said he compared mugshots of the two Unit Tindakan Khas (Special Action Squad) operatives and a side picture of Kpl Sirul with eight frames from the footage recorded on Oct 18 last year. “I asked Jimmy Loo (Mow Chan, Hotel Malaya operations manager) to play the footage from 1650 hours to 1700 hours (4.50pm to 5pm), and again from 1600 hours to 1700 hours.

“After that, I captured eight frames which I identified as the faces of those in (the mugshots),” he said. The witness said he then observed the movements of both individuals in the hotel based on each of the frames. Earlier, Supt Amidon said that following a request by ASP Tonny on Nov 2, his team found three fingerprints on the rear right door window of a red Proton Wira Aeroback parked at the Kuala Lumpur police contingent headquarters. However, he said a check with the Malaysian Automated Fingerprint Identification System found that the three fingerprints could not be identified because there were “not enough characteristics”. Based on the licence plate number, this was (C/Insp Azilah’s ex-girlfriend) L/Kpl Rohaniza Roslan’s car, which had been used to drive Altantuya away from Abdul Razak Baginda’s house on Oct 19 last year.

That was when the Mongolian woman was last seen alive. Supt Amidon said he first went to the crime scene on Nov 6 together with a 24-man team based on instructions by Supt Zainol Samah, the officer-in-charge of the Kuala Lumpur police contingent headquarters special investigations division. He said his team could only start gathering evidence the following day because it was already dark when they reached the scene. Supt Amidon said he led his team back to the scene on Nov 9 to continue the evidence gathering. In total, 105 items comprising wires, soil samples, bone fragments, hair and biological tissue were collected. The witness also said it rained heavily on both days.

The trial continues on Monday, 3rd Dec 07

= == = = == = == = == = = = =

More details
Go H E R E


Post a Comment

<< Home

Get complete protection against viruses, worms and Trojan horse programs – CA Anti-Virus 2008! Click here for cheap hotels
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from Multidimid. Make your own badge here.
Blogroll Me!

Your email address:

Powered by FeedBlitz

Add to Google Add to Google